Sunday, April 22, 2012

Get Real:What Kind of World are You Buying?






Get Real: What Kind of World are You Buying by Mara Rockliff was absolutely great. This book reveals what you're really buying when  you spend your money on a cell phone, a t-shirt, or fast food. As well as this it shows you the way to make better choices both for yourself, those around you, and the planet. This book was something that I wish I would have read when I was younger and wasted my money more frivolous then I do now.


I think this is a perfect book for a YA book because it teaches them about their own buying power. With the books great graphics and compelling photos it really catches the readers attention. There are also great chapters like, "And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt" that teaches teens to think before they buy, where their products come from, who made them, and what will happen if they no longer buy them. 

There are also great tips on how going green and companies whom try to push this on the media and their consumers. The book also focuses on what our parents tried to teach us about product placement, popular brands, celebrity endorsements, and all those tricky tricky tricks used to pull teens in. The writing is casual but yet gets the point across. What I do wish was different was that the statements that were in the book were backed up with some hard facts. If I am being convinced of something and in a way called out for my poor buying actions I would like some hard proof of where this information and sources are from. 

Other than that though I think many adults as well as teens could get a lot of useful and insightful information out of this educational catchy book. 




No comments: