Wednesday, April 30, 2014


First of all I would like to say that every young adult would love to read this book in my opinion. This is one of the funniest books I have ever read. I was not expecting the tone of the book, so I say it can be very fun to read. The story is a little comical with a very important topic. The author is telling her story about how her family lied about her father being dead. I am not sure I would ever like to be put in this situation, but George’s way of handling the situation would encourage young adults to deal with things in a more positive way. Even through the secrets and lies that were told to George her story is encouraging and her positive outlook with the relationship she has with her mom is something to learn from. This story is uplifting, because although she sees all of her mother’s imperfections she writes how she deals with the disappointment. The cons to this books would be that there is no true conclusion. At least for me the conclusion was a little unjoyful. I guess since it is an autobiography and the topic is a little complicated is expected, because the author is still pretty young. The other thing I noticed from this book is that the title is a little deceiving. The call to Dr. Laura does not really play of a big role in the book. The pictures from this books were amazing. The pictures of Portland are very interesting as well. Artist and common people would love them or hate them. For me it was very entertaining and although the pictures are not perfect they got their point across.  I always have fun with pictures so I believed they were great. This book would be great if offered for young adults. Bullying exist in many schools and I believe this book would welcome diversity and would allow those who are and want to be different to be different. As I was reading I felt the author was young and outgoing so I looked her up and she was. I feel that her book reflects her amazing and brilliant smile.

I would truly recommend this book as a fun reading so that students can learn that there are people with dysfunctional families and that they have succeeded in life with a very positive attitude.
 

4 comments:

Laura Elizabeth said...

You didn't name your book until about half way though the review, and even then it was not punctuated in a way that it was easily recognized as a title. This made the review more confusing to read than it should have been.

Unknown said...

Hi Olga, your reviewed book sounds really interesting. The picture you gave at the end is also very thought-provoking as well. Was this a graphic novel? You talked about how the pictures were amazing. I think its important that you noticed the tone of the book with a comical sense. I think this would be great for young adult readers because sometimes they need a tone that can draw them in from the start. Would you recommend this book for high schools to use in class or just for pleasure? Now, I didn't read the book but I feel like the title could be analyzed even though it is not a huge part of the novel, like you said. From reading your review, I am interested in this novel and would definitely consider reading it. Thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

Nice review--I'm intrigued because the majority of YA graphic novels from YALSA were not humorous, in fact I have been wondering just why it is that so many graphic novels are sombre in tone.

It sounds like this book strikes a nice balance; a serious topic dealt with comedy. I definitely feel, based on your description, that this would be appropriate for older audiences as well as YAs. The subject matter you mentioned, esp with the estranged father situation is something a lot of people deal with.

Unknown said...

I apologize for it being confusing. Actually Marty you should also read Grasshopper Jungle if you are looking for amusing text. Trust me this will leave you wondering if the author was in his right mind. You would like it, try to read it. It's truly different from everything I have read,