Sunday, December 6, 2009

Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood



The Robin Hood legend has been retold in hundreds of books, movies, TV shows, and now in Tony Lee’s graphic novel Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood. Lee starts his graphic novel with the back story of Robin Hood’s childhood and his relationship with his father, the Earl of Huttington. He follows Robin through his time in the crusades and eventually back to Sherwood Forest where he works to save the people of the forest from the evil Sheriff of Nottingham.

Lee’s graphic novel is exciting, fast-moving, lively, and also very thorough. The accuracy and attentiveness to detail that Lee provides in regards to the Robin Hood legend is quite impressive. The illustrations, done by Sam Hart, are expressive, but rather dark and raw at times. However, this darkness also does seem to contribute and reflect the times of story itself, set in 1192. This graphic novel would appeal most to young adult males anywhere between the ages of 13-17. I think that the raw, grittiness of this version of the Robin Hood legend would attract more reluctant, male readers. It is packed with battle scenes, and updates Robin Hood for the twenty first century teen audience. Some major young adult themes present in Lee’s Legend of Robin Hood are friendship, courage, loyalty, and love.

If this review has interested you, please check out this link to an interview conducted with Tony Lee about this graphic novel: http://www.boldoutlaw.com/robint/tonylee.html

If you are interested in Tony Lee’s other work, please check out the link below to his official website: http://www.tonylee.co.uk/

3 comments:

schenieka hoskins said...

Great review! I think that you are defiantly on target by likening this book to young adult male readers! The vast majority of young reading males would kill to read something fun and exciting such as this! However, I know you said there were prevalent themes of friendship, courage, loyalty, and love. Is the book actually demonstrating how to form friendship, or the importance of friendship or even both? I was also wondering does the book show the complexities of love or importance of loyalty. I was just wondering what do you think readers would walk away learning sort of speak. I guess I am wondering if this book can be taught in classrooms.

Krystal Tanami said...

I read this and think your review is spot on perfect. I think that action adventure is the way to most young male readers and it it takes a graphic novel to get them to read than so be it, atleast they are reading.

Stephanie said...

I also read a book that was a spin-off of an original and I thought it to be highly entertaining. I think it will reach out for the fan base that has already been established and pull those readers into a whole new world. I also thought my graphic novel to be dark during some places as well, but I also saw this in American Born Chinese, Do you think this darkness is a trend in Graphic Novels?