Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gothic Lolita Punk

Gothic Lolita was definitely an eye - opening read for me. The book explores different facets of artistic expression, all depicting the Japanese Style-Trend known as Gothic Lolita. The book itself is composed of the work of several different artists, mostly using Manga style artwork to depict "Gothic Lolita" artwork. The book was visually stimulating, yes, and some of the artwork was quite good - including the piece depicted on the cover, drawn by an artist named "Yoh." Despite its interesting visual ideas, I found this book to be deeply disturbing, and the idea of showing it to young children is quite honestly, a little terrifying.
Now let me get it straight here. I am an incredibly open minded person. For the most part, I am laid back, easy going, and non judgemental of those around me. The Japanese phenomenon of Gothic Lolita, however, dumbfounded me - and not in a good way. The style is essentially based in making (mostly young) women appear like girlish dolls. The dress is mostly Victorian style and doll-like, with big hoop skirts, lots of lace and frills, and is usually accompanied with complicated hairstyles or extravagant hats, or both. The style is depicted similarly in the book, except even more exravagantly, with incredibly trim waistlines, and sexually suggestive facial expressions.
What bothers me mostly about this style (and the book,) is that Gothic Lolita, and the men and women who subscribe to its aesthetic, seem to be perversely desiring to be perceived as young, sweet, and innocent. Primarily young. The WikiHow entry on "How to be Gothic Lolita" includes tips that say things like, "Take steps to fit the feminine style; removing all hair on the legs, (tasteful) makeup, lipstick, and mascara will promote a more girlish appearance." and also, "Decorate your room/house in that way, bake/cook, have tea parties and cherish everything that is beautiful." The women (and occasionaly men,) who aspire to be "Gothic Lolita" are fetishizing something that belongs to children.
The Gothic Lolita style seems to be a demented way to a)sexualize young girls, and b)present women as objects. In turn, the book I read was an homage to the style, and therefore a perpetuation of the idolization of young, pure, innocent girls.

11 comments:

Anne said...

Was there a plot to this story or just pictures?

Paige said...

Wow, I am also wondering what the story was about. I have heard of this style, and I know of a video game character who is depicted in this style. I think that the way that women are objectified is a big problem in the main stream media also. It make it easier for men to abuse women if they are always seen as objects and not humans. I would have to agree with you with not having this book in classrooms for young adults if negative messages toward women are given.

Paige said...

Wow, I am also wondering what the story was about. I have heard of this style, and I know of a video game character who is depicted in this style. I think that the way that women are objectified is a big problem in the main stream media also. It make it easier for men to abuse women if they are always seen as objects and not humans. I would have to agree with you with not having this book in classrooms for young adults if negative messages toward women are given.

Caitlin Strandquist said...

There wasn't a plot, no. It was basically an artistic instruction book - a way to look at art that was presenting the Gothic Lolita style. This was my choice for the "reluctant readers" section.

Alex H. said...

I completely agree with you Caitlin. I feel this is an improper public display of sexualizing the image of a young girl. In my opinion this is simply a fetish by some people that has gone public. My greatest fear is the unwarranted transition to young girls that this may bring. It may entice the minds of pedophiles and increase the sexual crimes against young girls.

schenieka hoskins said...

I am also lost for words, from your description I would refrain from recommending this book to young adult readers as well. I think our younger generations already have enough problems with living up to unrealistic stereotypes. Having young women thinking they have o have thin waits, and beautiful make-up is not something I would want to teach. I wonder the type of feedback this book has critically received in relation to it being geared toward young adults.

Caitlin Strandquist said...

Honestly, I think its probably similar to any other photo based crap that is out there. Its just eye candy, but for a culture different than our own. Its like owning a magazine full of pictures of the Gossip Girls, or whatever. Young girls own it because its what they think they need to be like, and whoever else owns it probably has it for disturbing reasons.

Krystal Tanami said...

I too am wondering about the story line. I agree gothica lolita manga does sexualize young girls but keep in mind that it wasn't that long ago that girls could get married at twelve or younger and there are many countries where that is still the case so age shouldn't matter. I wonder if, because it seems you had some preconceived notions, if you read this with an open mind or did you go into it knowing you wouldn't like it?

Caitlin Strandquist said...

Honestly, I went into this book with a completely open mind. And again, there was no story of any kind - it was literally just artwork and brief, very brief, explanations of the artist's point of view. There was no plot, story or characters of any kind.

Like I said, I really dug some of the artwork, but I couldn't get past the very sexual depiction of girls who were supposed to look like little children. Yes, I'm aware that some cultures marry at young ages, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a) an excuse for this sort of thing, or b) morally acceptable to begin with.

Again, I can't emphasize enough how open minded of a person I am - but Gothic Lolita, as a lifestyle, seems to provide an environment where the literal objectification of women would thrive, and as a fashion phenomenon, is just so profoundly ridiculous, on top of being morally vague, that there is literally no justifiable reason for it keep on existing. I'm not suggesting the style be banned or anything like that, trust me. But I don't think it should be perpetuated by books like this that are geared towards teenage girls.

Krystal Tanami said...

Caitlin,
I believe you that there was no story line and that sucks. I wonder how it made it on the list since it doesn't sound very good.

Anonymous said...

You people need to know about the style before you can say anything about it. This book is featured in the art section and features beautiful pictures from Gothic Lolita stylists. In Japan, Gothic Lolita isn't the main style, but does contribute to the subcultures of street style that exists there. Bear in mind that Japan is a country that places emphasis on things being cutesy. Soda cans and food alike feature bubbled, bright lettering, usually along with some sort of anime character. Of course this style would emphasize being cute and girlish. Gothic Lolita in no way is revealing and provacative... the way that most American styles are. Focus on the belly shirt and tiny skirt your own daughter could be wearing and leave this style to the people that actually know about it.