Wednesday, August 22, 2012




A historical figure that represents African American Heritage. I applaud the author for the way he illustrated Douglass' life. I am a big advocate for teaching students about African American heritage. There is a lot of history to retell, especially when it comes to explaining the cruelty of slavery. What I like best is the way the author incorporated Douglass' voice. It made it seem surreal as if I was Douglass giving a recap of my life as a slave. Also, the illustration and narration that described the cruelty that slaves had to endured, captured my attention. It was an easy read, but it was the pictures and voice that made the book readable.


The author retells the life of Frederick Douglass who was and still is a figure in history to remember. Like many slaves, he did not remember either of his parents. Taken away from his mother was typical because he was viewed as property, many slaves were. He was subjected to learn at an early age how, African Americans, slaves were treated. By witnessing first hand, that his childhood and everything that he truly cared for was eventually coming to an end. He, like many women, children and men, was subjected to physical and mental violence, hunger and sometimes other forms of punishment in order to have them (slaves) become submissive to their master. A form of abuse that later would hold merit and end slavery in the United States.

This new biography, which I really enjoyed brought new light in retelling history. I can see myself recommending this book or incorporating it in a lesson or two.  Overall, I great book to read.

No comments: